Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Why I Love Breakfast and a Burrito


I love breakfast more than any other meal, and it's purely for emotional reasons.  I grew-up in a home where my mother ate and still eats something chocolate every morning.  I really didn't know that Hostess chocolate cupcakes were not a breakfast food until I was in my mid-twenties.  Chocolate cake and Swiss Rolls were the norm, but I always liked a savory breakfast.  I would go to my grandparent's house before school where my grandpa would make me cheese omelets or heat up leftover mashed potatoes and fried chicken.  The only time my mom cooked a breakfast is when my family would go camping.  I remember the little Coleman camp stove with eggs just taken out of the red plastic carrying case and sausage links.  These breakfasts were special.  Now, my dad often takes me out for our morning meal when I'm home visiting, and it's these kinds of emotional memories that make me love this meal so much.

I have a breakfast burrito almost every morning.  I previously posted about making them ahead for the freezer, which works great, but most of the time I just make my burrito as I get ready for work.  Those of you who know me know that I will sleep every last second before I have to get out of bed, and I've been known to hit the snooze button for at least an hour.  In fact, my husband knows that he's not allowed to talk to me in the morning because all questions are considered stupid until I'm properly awake.  Yet, I do love breakfast, and I've got a routine down that lets me throw together a burrito every morning.  It goes like this: stumble to the kitchen, heat the pan with oil, go brush teeth, chop mushrooms and throw in the pan, do hair, throw eggs in the pan, get dressed, and so on.

The filling for my burritos constantly change.  I'm on a mushroom, kale, egg, cheese, and jalapeno kick right now, but sometimes I'll have potatoes, sausage, peppers, egg, and onion.  Really, whatever produce I can pull together quickly and wrap in a tortilla is good for me.  I always have a gallon jar of pickled jalapenos in the fridge.

When breakfast burritos were requested for supper a few nights ago, I knew I wanted to do something a little different than my everyday fare.  These were filled with egg, pepper, onion, chorizo, and cheese and then topped with some leftover Rotel dip and cilantro.  The filling and cheese sauce from yesterday's nacho post would also make an excellent addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment