Monday, May 12, 2014

Meatless May Day 11: Hummus Sandwiches and a Hummus Recipe


While not the most original supper idea in the world, I knew I would want something fairly light because I went to a huge mother's day brunch buffet.  I didn't feel like I missed out on anything at the buffet by not eating meat, and Jason said he just missed the bacon.

I decided I would make hummus because I was soaking chickpeas for the chickpea cutlets anyway.  I still have leftover chickpeas that I'll freeze and make into something delicious later on when I don't feel like cooking beans.  You see, just like I won't buy ricotta, I also won't buy canned beans or pre-made hummus.  Both are ridiculously easy to make and much cheaper when you do it yourself.  Beans don't require work, just planning, and you must be in the house for a few hours unless you have a crock-pot, and in that case, most of the work is done for you.  Really, I think if you make a lot of beans, the crock-pot would eventually pay for itself.  Also, don't buy your hummus, make it.  Yes, I do have a food processor which makes smooth hummus, but I used to make it with a potato masher and a fork, not as smooth, but still amazing.

My hummus sandwiches included lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and black olives.  As I type this I'm realizing a missed opportunity of an avocado sitting sadly in the refrigerator.  Roasted red peppers would have been great too.

Hummus (an approximate recipe)

2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained (probably about 1 1/2 cans if you must use canned beans)
Juice from 1 1/2 to 2 lemons
3 cloves garlic, pressed
about 5 tablespoons tahini
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt, add more to taste, less if you use canned beans

I don't measure too much when I do this, so you may need a little more or a little less of something depending on your desired tastes.  Also, I've made this before and forgotten the tahini, it's okay, well edible, but it's flat.  I have heard you can substitute natural peanut butter, but I've not tried this.  Let me know if you do and how it turned out.

If you have a food processor, pulse chickpeas a few times until the beans are broken up.  If you're not using a food processor, mash the chickpeas with a fork until no whole beans remain.  Add lemon juice, garlic, and tahini.  Pulse, or mash until well combined and smooth.  Add in olive oil and pulse again until creamy.  You may need to add more oil or water at this point if it's too thick.  Finally, add seasonings, stir, and try not to eat it all with a spoon before you can get it onto a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment